Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

We are installing a garmin 94 and the 4 small wires on it have

Customer Question

We are installing a garmin 94 and the 4 small wires on it have diferent terminology than the standard horizon vhf and a different # ***** wires. The garmin has 4 Brown,blue black and red. The standard horizon has more. the standard horizon has 4 communication wires.yelloe gps input (+), green gps input (-),white dsc output (+), and brown dsc output (-).
Please let us know whidh wires get hooked together.
Thanking you in advance Fresno Hooker
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The only ports (or inputs/outputs) the Garmin 94sv sonar display/plotter has, are of the NMEA 0183 standard.
That is a form of serial communication port, from device to device. I presume you want DSC information from the radio to go to the Garmin device. Or in the other direction, for that matter, perhaps.
For a Garmin 50s echoplotter, these are the pinout connections to a Horizon VHF:
Blue Garmin to VHF Blue
Violet Garmin NC (NOT to VHF Brown... just to let you know what's at the other end in this wire color scheme, even if it's not connected.)
Brown Garmin To VHF Gray
Gray Garmin NC (NOT To VHF Green.... see above.)
That does not sound like your wiring scheme at all. The colors for the connected Horizon wires in this case, are identified as the green and the brown colors match my specifications, for their purpose. The other two... I'm not sure.
NMEA ports have a 12 V + power source wire (and a Ground for the power source), and three other wires, for
Signal ground (not the same as power ground)
TX (usually Blue on Garmin?)
RX (usually Brown on Garmin?)
The red wire on NMEA 0183 ports is the above-mentioned + 12 V power,
the black is Ground.
I hope this information helps. Let me know, please, whether or not.