Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a wired Gwind with bridge plus speed depth temperature

Customer Question

I have a wired Gwind with bridge plus speed depth temperature transducer connected to 3 readouts (2XGMI10 + 1XGMI20). This is connected via USB to my Windows XP boat computer. NEXUS Race is functioning & I can display data & graphs on the computer and generally manipulate it.
The computer also has a GPS antenna + chartplotter & other software that can output gps data.
1. Is there any way to feed the computer GPS data into the bridge so the instruments can use it?
2. Can the computer or instrument be used to calibrate the boat speed?
It is currently reading about 20% high. On the Silva Instruments, which this system replaced, that could easily be done right on the instrument.
Best regards; Alan Gibson
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
For data to be fed into the GND 10 bridge, it would have to be
(a) output by a device that has the information, and
(b) the output would have to be in either NMEA2000, or in USB from a computer, or in the Nexus networking system.
(1):
I presume that having it in Nexus is non-sequitur, so that leaves USB data output from a computer, and NMEA2000 networking protocol.
USB used as an output is not impossible, just unconventional. (USB is a serial port, after all.) It would require software that deliberately did the job in that fashion. But it would have to be output from a Windows PC or else from an Apple computer, with that special software running on it.
As for using NMEA2000, that would be output from a Garmin device, presumably, or other brand of nautical instrument. In other words, from the GMI10s or the GMI20.
So in sum, you would need the GPS data to be either on the computer and output via USB port to the bridge (unlikely, and/or requiring special software of uncertain identity), or on an NMEA2000 line and passed to the bridge by the GMI20 or GMI10 instruments.
(2)
To calibrate the boat speed, you need either a setting in Nexus Race (if just calibrating how it is displayed is what you want), or to actually control the boat speed, you would need to have your system feed back into an autopilot with a controller for the throttle etc.
On the other hand, common sense simply suggests that what you need to properly calibrate the speed reading or the actual speed whatever it is, would be a speed transducer or speed sensor that actually works properly.
But tell me your speed depth temperature transducer by maker and model #, and I will advise you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I was communicating with a GarminNEXUS expert as I was directed to this website by the Garmin website.To clarify, the Nexus Race Software enables data to move on the USB link between the GND10 and computer.Garmin Description:
"GND 10 Black Box Interface
The Garmin GND 10 black box interface seamlessly integrates Nexus instruments and sensors with the Garmin family. It converts data between the Nexus network and NMEA 2000 to provide trouble-free compatibility between Nexus and Garmin products including gWind and gWind Race wind transducers. Simple plug-and-play installation between Nexus and NMEA 2000, with USB connectivity eliminates need for user setup and system configuration.Features:
Converts data between the Nexus network and NMEA 2000
Provides trouble-free compatibility between Nexus and Garmin products
Simple plug-and-play installation between Nexus, NMEA 2000 and USB
No user setup or system configuration required****Allows PC applications such as NexusRace, Expedition, Adrena, or SeaTrack, to communicate sailing specific functions between Nexus and NMEA 2000 networksEnables GND 10 software updates over NMEA 2000****Existing NexusRace PC application can be used to update software, configure, and calibrate Nexus devices over USB using the FDX protocolLighting levels of Nexus Marine instruments can be set from equipment connected to NMEA 2000
Allow setting and resetting of race start timers and distance logs from Garmin equipment connected to the NMEA 2000 network"The descriptions *** will do what I want but I cannot get it to function with the instructions supplied.
It is likely a few keystrokes "which everybody knows" and I will eventually.FYI the GarminNEXUS transducer is: DST800 Speed/Depth/Temperature sensor manufactured by AirMar
This is the unit everyone is using on NMEA2000 networksDid you see my answer to what I have tried?Regards
Alan
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I regret to confess, I have no Nexus software experience. With that in mind, is there anything I can advise you about? If not, I will Opt Out and pass the question to whatever Expert can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RussellThank you for your honesty.
I would be delighted if you could find someone who can truly assist with this situation.Best regards
Alan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW What time zone are you in
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I am in Eastern Time (east coast North America). I have Opted Out, with apologies, opening the case to other Experts in this category - With emphasis on Nexus maritime navigation software experience.