Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a e-120 GPS chart plotter, e-120 and a DSM

Customer Question

I have a e-120 GPS chart plotter, e-120 for radar and a DSM 300 sounder. My water temperature is always about 7 or 8 degrees higher than the water truly is. Is there a temperature offset I can do to make it accurate?
Chuck Stroh
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It probably is simply that your temperature sensor is defective. But also check as to whether it is positioned too shallowly...if it measures surface water, that will be much warmer owing to solar heating effect.
Also, if it is positioned near any part of the boat that might heat the water... e.g. and esp. the engine!... then that would explain it also.
As for a temperature offset setting, or calibration (more likely) procedure... there may be some such, but tell me: Where is the temperature displayed, on what (by maker and model #) device or display?
With that information I should be able to advise you specifically. Let me know. Thanks.