Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a older series dual screens Raymarine C120, RS125 GPS

Customer Question

I have a older series dual screens Raymarine C120, RS125 GPS Antenna and with DSM and (2) ST60's. The GPS antenna looks to be NEMA connected to the rear of the C120 with Sea Talk from ST60's and Radar C120 MFD to a Raymarine either distribution box or junction box (can't tell the difference.
I talked with Raymarine about getting NO FIX 80% of the time - and they said the RS125 is defective. I did change the battery and reset the MFD - still no fix. I bought the RS130 and converter for SeaTalk - but he instructions are so bad - I can't figure out how to hook the Converter to the system without cutting the wire and wiring into the distribution box.
Any help you can offer?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The Raymarine junction box, if that's what it is, should look like this:
http://cdn3.volusion.com/3jgn5.2xoqu/v/vspfiles/photos/RAYE25049-2T.jpg?1436534876
and that is obviously just a series of five-pronged 'outlets' - four with covers still On, in the illustration. Since they are five-pronged, I would presume they are SeaTalk-2, and that's what a careful examination of the page they are on reveals.
So: does your junction box have five-pronged outlet/jacks? or are they only three-pronged? or some other number, or type?
Assuming it is a SeaTalk 2 junction box, then given that the RayStar RS130 is a GPS transponder with either NMEA2000 or SeaTalk-ng connectivity, it should be either hooked up via a NMEA2000 networking arrangement, or via a SeaTalk-ng hookup. Since I am not sure what you have in the way of a junction box, I am not sure what specifically to advise, except (at this point) that if your 'coverter for SeaTalk' - of what for SeaTalk? - seems wrong, it probably is, and should be returned and exchanged for something else.
My answer is that, plus: figure out what your junction box is, what protocol or SeaTalk variety it uses, then connect as appropriate and with adapters as appropriate. (And, let's hope that it doesn't turn out that you have to "Replace everything" in order to hook the RS130 into your installation!)
So examine the Raymarine 'junction box', see whether it's a networking box, or just a SeaTalk junction box, and count the prongs in its outlets/jacks, and let me know, and I will give a slightly more specific answer as to what to do in some detail.