Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have an HDS-5 gen1. Tried updating the software, power to

Customer Question

I have an HDS-5 gen1. Tried updating the software, power to the unit went out in the middle of it. Now all it does is boot up, shows Lowrance screen and reboots. It's an out of warranty item. I tried both hard and soft reset and that did not work. Is there anything on the maindboard that I can short/reset to get it to factory defaults or am I pooched?
Steve
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Steve,
if the update was interrupted then the chartplotter will need to be returned to a Lowrance service center to have the software reinstalled using their specialist equipment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You guys actually charged me $48 for that answer? Wow... Thx for stating the obvious about having to return it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,I'm not sure what price you chose to pay for the answer. I am a user of this site, just like you, so I cannot see your account information. I just answer the questions.Sorry if I was the bearer of bad news, but I can confirm that the equipment is going to have to be returned, as you suspected. There is no fix that you can do yourself without specialist custom programming equipment. Best,Pete.