Neil, Marine Electronics Dealer
Experience:  NZCE Electronics and Computing
15873252

My gps chart plotter 182c with internal antenna is not networked.

Customer Question

My gps chart plotter 182c with internal antenna is not networked. Twelve volt power, return and maybe ground could be the only connections. The receptacle housing is broken so the connector is no longer very secure or water resistant. I do no have a repair manual or spare receptacle, but I am wondering if the receptacle can be replaced easily. Please advise.
Category: Marine Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do so that you can answer me!
***@******.***(###) ###-####
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I do not quite know what you means by the 'receptacle' - please specify. Is that a 'jack' on the Garmin itself, or elsewhere? and which jack would it be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call me at your convenience.(###) ###-####
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I regret that I may not call you, so I have Opted Out.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
Hi Do you mean the power/data cable? If so you can buy a replacement here:https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/cables/power-data-cable-bare-wires-/prod520_010-10083-00.html Or did you mean the plug on the unit itself? This can be replaced if the cable no longer locks onto the unit due to this part of the unit being broken... You just need a torx screwdriver and a soldering iron to replace this...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for responding to my inquiry.Yes it is the component on the unit that is broken (you call it a plug). Half the shell has broken off. Luckily the key is still there. When that goes it is going to be more difficult to make the connection without having it fall off or (worse yet) without misconnecting it. I want to replace this component that you call the plug. I will need a replacement plug and some tools. I do not see any need for a torx yet. Where is that needed and what other information can I get to make sure that I do a good job, or should I send out for repair by a particular shop known for reliable professional service on units like these?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
You have to take the back off the unit to access the connector... The earlier models had torx screws the newer ones just standard phillips head screws..
You will need a soldering iron to replace the plug, if you are not used to soldering then better to practise with the iron first...
Garmin can do this repair for you... It would be a relatively easy repair and you could expect to pay around $75 for this...
https://my.garmin.com/rma/en-US/repair/repairLanding
Other wise give them a call and see if they can supply just the connector for you..
U.S. Toll-free:(###) ###-####
If they can't supply just the part for you then come back to me with the number of pins on the connector and I will find the part manufacturer for you. I am pretty sure it is the same connector as on my own Garmin which has 19 pins but yours has 7 I think...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seven pins is correct. Garmin no longer devices the unit and they say they no longer carry the parts. They may have the part if it was used on a more recent unit, but I have not tried to enter that thicket. Can you suggest a connector brand and even a part number?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
I know it looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-125V-4A-7P-Pins-Waterproof-IP67-Cable-Gland-Aviation-Connecting-Plug-w-Cap-/191630094302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9e0b2fde
But check the dimensions against your current one especially the cutout size... If you order both parts ((plug and socket) so you can replace both parts if necessary..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That does seem to resemble my connector. Unfortunately I don't see any way to check the dimensions before purchasing. I tried to buy it anyway, but apparently the vendor does not ship to the USA. I am not finding any other seller online. Please advise.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
Try this site:
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/results.aspx?term=plastic+circular+connectors&navigation=4294887229
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any luck? Don't forget to rate my answer, it is how I am rewarded for my time and costs you nothing to do...
I can hold th question open so you can come back if still need help on this...