Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

Mercury 25 hp 4 stroke running erratically. Engine will not

Customer Question

Mercury 25 hp 4 stroke running erratically. Engine will not run full throttle, chokes and stalls. Model 1A25413FK, Series 0R145060. It has fresh gas, new lp fuel filter, and recent oil change. A couple of days ago I changed the oil, filter and drained
the VST and then it ran great full throttle for 20 min ... I shut it off and restarted about an hour later and the choking, sputtering, etc... returned.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. There is a diagnostic process that needs to be gone through here with the engine in order to figure out the issue. What were you looking to do here, and how can I be of help to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking for direction around what to do next? What is the diagnostic process?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
On this engine the basics would be checking engine compression, checking spark output, and checking fuel pressure. That would need to be done first just to get you pointed in the correct direction. If all 3 if the basic sets of tests are all a pass, getting hooked up to a scan tool would be next. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is not something that I can do without taking it to a shop
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's why I had asked what you were looking to do here. Some customers as clear and concise questions, other customers as vague round a bout questions. Other don't ask any questions at all. You didn't really ask anything so I didn't know what it was you were looking for.