Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I go to chart orientation and click on Head up and always go

Customer Question

I go to chart orientation and click on Head up and always go back to North up.
What am I missing?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Perhaps no Heading is being sensed, so Head(ing) Up cannot work. This would be more likely if when you try to switch to Head Up mode, the chart display never changes to your heading, not even for a moment... it would not, I presume, because it has no heading to change to.So check whether your heading is being properly sensed, from autocompass (or whatever other instrument in your setting your - I presume - chartplotter would get the heading from.) If it is not being sensed, then first check the connection and the cable all along its length to the autocompass (or whatever instrument), then proceed to further troubleshooting, or have the autocompass checked out in a marine electronics repair shop, if a check on, and reseating of, the cable doesn't fix the problem.