Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

I have a boat with 2 mercruiser 350 Mag MPI Horizon engines.

Customer Question

I have a boat with 2 mercruiser 350 Mag MPI Horizon engines. The other day, my starboard engine would not start. When I turned the key, I had nothing. I took apart the ignition panel and jiggled the wires a little. Then I got power and it started. About
20 mins later the engined stalled out under power and now won't start. However, it does turnover, just doesn't start.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?Do the fuel pumps on the engine come on? Does it have any fuel pressure if you put a gauge on it? Will it start, or at least attempt to hit, on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm the owner. When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump go on. I have not put a gauge on it and it does not start since it stalled out on me. It seems like it is attempting to start (like I think it does, but then doesn't). Could it be something with the switch or fuse seeing as I had to jiggle it initially or is that unrelated now that I actually do get power back to the engine when I turn the key?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. That's why I had asked if it had fuel pressure or if it will start on starting fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was going to go down and look at it tonight, any suggestions or things to try? Was thinking simple test to swap out fuse/key switch with other engine and try... What else?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
A better way would be to see if you have 12v out of the purple wire on the keyswitch with the key set to the run position. Do you have a meter to check that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a meter. I'll have to look at it to see where I hit the purple wire, I'm assuming just touch the lead where it connects to the switch? If I do not, then it is the switch? What about that fuse? I AM getting power down to the engine b/c when I turn the switch it does beep and I hear the fuel pump. Thats the only thing confusing me.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are separate circuits that come out of the keyswitch. There is the ignition circuit, which is purple. And then there is the start circuit, which is yellow/red. The start circuit spins the engine over, the ignition circuit provides power to the engine electronics. Check for power on the purple wire with the key in the ON positon. And then with the key in the START position and let me know what you get for both sets of numbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, will do. I won't get down there for a few hours, but will respond to you from the boat. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome. Keep me posted.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any luck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, I haven't had a chance to get down and check yet, hope to do this today.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know how you make out.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. Any luck?