Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.
67216606

I have a 2005 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I have

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I have recently had a second battery and switch put in (Blue Sea Systems - 1, 2, both, off). I left the boat on battery 2 (House) and both batteries were dead after two weeks. There appears to be a drain. I
have installed an onboard charger. Both batteries charged and held the charge after 1.5 hours on the water (12.2 starter, 12.77 house) - I have not checked yet today to see if they maintained the charge (left the switch on off) I spoke with the mechanic who
installed the switch and second battery who told me that he saw a pair of LED lights under the dash (previous owner) and that they would be the likely culprit - he thought that they should be removed but they were a "rat's nest" so he left them as he doesn't
do anything without speaking to the owner (thanks for mentioning them when we spoke every few hours into the job when you called and asked for money for what you had done, "so far") It is a rat's nest - and may be the culprit. But I am concerned that it could
be a stuck float (shouldn't be - the bilge was off and the boat was on land - it is a new float installed with the batteries), the lights, or (?) I have a multimeter, and I am wondering where and how to look for and isolate the drain. While the LED lights
are a very likely suspect, they were not an issue previously when I only had one battery and no switch. I do not recall if I left the switch on "off" the first two times I used the boat this year. If it is the lights - is there a simple way of removing/bypassing
them. I have attached a picture. The tape is the connection. 3 red - to boat, white, red, black/white to light (bottom right corner)
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Can you tell what the LED's go to? The pic really does not show much other than a bunch of tape. If you can tell what they go to and it will not damage anything to remove them, Go ahead and take them out. If it was the float stuck, yo would hear the bilge pump running. You can also look at the float and make sure that it is in the down position. If it is truly an auto bilge, the position of the switch will not do anything s the float should be wired directly to the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charles, so you don't waste your time. A mechanic (on just answer) has already worked with me - we finished the question and I rated him, so no idea why you would not have that info when you tried to answer.
We did this yesterday at about 10am Pacific.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. The site is doing a test, so either it had two questions for you or it just did not post here. ThanksCharles