Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Type Your Question Here...

Customer Question

Type Your Question Here...
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can I do to help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recently had the sterndrive on my boat (Bravo one) removed to replace trim sensors, belows, shift cable and lube u joints. I looked at my drive in the up position and noticed what I think is my exhaust tube, but did not see a bellows. Shouldn't it have a bellows to keep connected? There is a gap that i don't think connects unless it is in the down position. This doesn't feel right. Have photo.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The Bravo drive uses a tube instead of a bellows. If you tilt the drive down in the position you run the boat the exhaust is covered by the tune. You don't run the boat with the drive all the way up. The Bravo drive can use either type. Here is a link to the Bravo drive. Go to #13 in the parts list and you will see they list both. It is more of a preference than anything. It is easier on the tech to install the tube. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/Bravo%20One%20%28Drive%20%26%20Transom%29/0F730000%20THRU%200M100000/BELL%20HOUSING/parts.html Does this make sense? Now post your drive serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, so when I trim the drive, lift it up a bit for more speed, the tube becomes connected?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yep the tube covers the exhaust when running the boat. Even at full trim not full tilt. The drive only tilts so high when running the engine. It is supposed to any way. There is a trim limit switch that only allows the drive to trim so high. Post back if you need further assistance. Thank you.....Tan