John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I own a Garmin GPSmap 182C mounted on a 24' boat. On the

Customer Question

I own a Garmin GPSmap 182C mounted on a 24' boat. On the display, I lost the navigation background showing water depth, buoys, etc. The land mass appears all in yellow and water is all in white. It happened as I was zooming in. In the past, sometimes it
would take a couple of seconds for the nav detail to display if I zoomed but it's gone now. All of the other pages are displaying correctly including dynamic readings such as speed, location, etc. I've tried removing the memory card and reinserting it several
times with now success. I looked at the card for damage or corrosion on the contacts. Everything appears OK. Suggestion?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with your question today. I am John, I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.
Is it still in warranty?
Have you tried updating it?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit is out of warrantee.
Regarding updating, I don't know how to physically go about it. Additionally, I don't see how that would help. The unit worked properly until last week and developed the problem while it was in use. It doesn't interface with any other electronics and no functions have been added to it so there should be no need for updating the software, which was working properly.
I was hoping that based on my description, you would help me narrow the problem down to at least eliminate the memory card as a source of the problem or determine that it is the likely problem.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sir/Madam, I apologize for the long delay.
I don't think this is a data card problem, however if you still want to try with a new data card I recommend to buy it from eBay for "cheap". Click here to see some of them ===> http://goo.gl/Fc6RHs
I would try first with an update. Here is the updates page for your device: https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00259-00
=====
Remember this doesn't have to be the final communication. We can continue the conversation for no additional charges.
Please read below also:
Some customers get upset when they do not get a quick solution and as a result rate my service as poor even though it is the correct answer. I respectfully ***** ***** you go to rate me, if you are inclined to rate me poorly, to please let me know what more I can do to gain a positive rating. That would be highly appreciated.
If you are satisfied with my job please leave me a positive feedback, that's the only way for me to be paid by JustAnswer.com, you won't be charged again. Remember this doesn't have to be the final answer. We can continue communicating for no additional charges.
If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to let me know clicking reply. Please do not leave negative feedback, just click Reply instead.
Thank You and I wish you all the best. GOD Blessings!!!