Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I live on the ocean between malburne and fort lauterdale I

Customer Question

I live on the ocean between malburne and fort lauterdale I would like to get the a struckture map of that area-also my 959 homminbird need help operating it
Category: Marine Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
while moving I loose my depth -wonder if the transducer is correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need a structure below me at all times otherwise this thing is worthless
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
First, check the sonar transducer mounting, whether it's the in-hull type or the through-hull type... and see whether, or recall whether, it was perhaps damaged or un-seated by collision etc.
Then, check the cable from the sonar transducer along its entire length, for strains, damage visible from the outside, etc.
Then, with the power Off, unplug the connector from the sonar transducer. Brush the jack, and the cable end also, with a clean dry brush, then wipe with a clean dry rag cloth until shiny, and re-connect.
Then see if you get better results, on a brief test run. If not, you have a major problem with the system, and probably with the display if you have had no collisions, bumps into the dock or mooring that might have affected the transducer, etc. At any authorized Humminbird repair shop, they ought to be able to test the display, and see if it has faults.
If you lose the depth sounding altogether... and, not while you are changing functions, but when the display is untouched... then your display does not need operating correctly so much as it needs repair, or at very least a serious evaluation by a repair facility.