Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Humminbird 998c and yesterday when we went to leave

Customer Question

I have a Humminbird 998c and yesterday when we went to leave the dock all of my waypoints we lost said there were none found on the device. So you know how this could've happened and is there anyway to try to find them. I have a few on SD cards but not all of them. Thank you
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I have rather bad news for you, I must honestly state: your waypoints are most likely lost without any means of recovery.
The exception to that is, of course, the ones you wisely backed up onto SD memory cards.
The best thing to try is to restore as many waypoints as you can, from those SD cards, to the Humminbird device.
Before doing so, of course, double-check as to accessing the waypoints. Make sure the Humminbird device is not looking on the SD card, and not finding any there (because no SD card is in the Humminbird device, presumably.) 'Point' the device to its own memory instead.
As for how it happened... perhaps a static discharge got into the device. Wearing woolen clothing, especially sweaters, and not 'touching metal' before touching the device, or esp. before inserting or removing a memory card from it, could cause such an aberration as erasure of data in memory.
Also, if the Humminbird device was cut off in some unusual manner, such as by a loose connection on its power, that might cause such an event also.
And, if the Humminbird device was by some chance given a Hard Reset, that definitely would erase all data stored on it (that wasn't on an SD card) and erase all settings individual to you on the Humminbird device as well.
Good luck for the future... and back up any waypoint or other valuable data, onto SD cards, frequently. What happened before might happen again... you could simply have a device that is starting to fail or is becoming defective.