Joe
Joe, Marine Electronics Installer
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I am preparing to purchase an HDS-12 & 9 Gen 3 Fishfinders.

Customer Question

I am preparing to purchase an HDS-12 & 9 Gen 3 Fishfinders. How do I set them up to talk to each other and what kind of trnaducers should I have. Also, Just got a 36v Milnn Kota Ultera. How do I hook up to it?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Are you referring to NEMA or Map sharing via networking?
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just want to hook these units up in the boat./
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
No problem, just know that is different than the question on how to get them to talk to each other.
The recommended transducers are listed on the products page to which you can pick which is suited for the needs of your vessel also such as thru-hull or transom mount for instance:
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/HDS-12-Gen3-en-us.aspx
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/HDS-9-Gen3-en-us.aspx
The question "how to connect to the boat" can be found in the install manuals for both units which be be very similar to each other, it explains step by step how to install them to the vessel:
9 and 12 - http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/HDSGen3/US/HDS_GEN3_IM_EN_988-10733-001_w.pdf
Note they both use the same installation instructions due to them both being very similar.
Connection to the motor depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What was the $36 for? I understood this was a free question session.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
I cannot comment on that as I am not a part of customer service and unfortunately I have no access to your account.
I believe I provided what you asked for including on how to connect them both to the boat which was the install manuals. If you have any other questions you need help with please let me know.
Thanks,
Joe