Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I'm trying to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion on MacBook. I

Customer Question

I'm trying to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion on MacBook. I cannot choose either option when it asks me to "select disk where you want to install OS X." The options are: Recovery HD and Macintosh HD
JA: What's the brand/model of your laptop?
Customer: MacBook Pro. That's all I know
JA: When did you purchase your Macbook Pro? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Probably 2014 or '15. I've only tried to reinstall the OS X Mountain Lion, because that's all that appeared on the screen.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I'm a computer imbecile, so I'm not even what more I would/could/should say
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jess replied 10 days ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Can you please tell me why do you want to reinstall?
  2. Also, are you saying that the 2 options are grayed out so you cannot select any of them?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm reinstalling because that's what came up on the screen. It won't do anything else. When I click on either option, it says, "This disk is locked."
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't know that I can securely connect. I'm using a different laptop to ask you these questions.
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 10 days ago.

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.