Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  Data Systems Analyst for a School District
97029936

My iPad is currently assigned to my exboyfriend's Apple ID,

Customer Question

My iPad is currently assigned to my exboyfriend's Apple ID, email address and password. My iPad was given to me as a gift from him some years ago. I have tried to change the ID and other info to my name, ID, email and password ***** the iPad will not allow me to and I cannot receive my mail.
JA: When did you last reset your Apple ID or password?
Customer: Never and now it will not allow me to change the present information.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No not that I recall.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just going to setting and trying to change info.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jon replied 7 days ago.

Hi my name is***** me to briefly go over your original question so I don't miss any details.

Expert:  Jon replied 7 days ago.

You are not going to like this but I am going to be honest with you. When an iPad or any apple device is locked with an apple id and password, then the only way to unlock on your own is to get the password ***** the last user. If this is not an option then the only other way you can bypass the apple id and password ***** ***** call APPLECARE directly @ https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232. You will need to provide proof of purchase information as well or they will not be able to unlock it. If it was just locked with a "passcode" you could set the ipad into recovery mode and then restore the ipad back to factory settings, however, like I said with an apple id and password ***** it is a different security method used and the device becomes dead with out the previous users apple id and pass.

Expert:  Jon replied 7 days ago.

If I have been able to guide you in the right direction or helped in any way still, please consider to rate my services. If you have any other questions just let me know.