Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

My elderly mother entered a security code to access her

Customer Question

My elderly mother entered a security code to access her iPhone 5s and doesn't remember it now. How can I reset the phone so she can use it?
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?
Customer: IOS 10.2 I think
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: not exactly sure. she may have tried to update and enterd the security code.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I went to iTunes but after fixing her apple id and pswd, I could not find a way to just do a factory reset. she really doesn't have anything but a few contacts on the phone
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I know at this point
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, I am Cris and will be glad to assist you. You can do a restore of the phone using DFU Recovery mode using a PC with iTunes installed.

If you do not have iTunes you can download and install the free application from iTunes.com

1. Plug your iPhone into your computer and open iTunes. It doesn’t matter if your iPhone is on or off.
  2. Press and hold the Sleep / Wake Button and Home Button together for 8 seconds.
  3. After 8 seconds, release the Sleep / Wake Button but continue to hold the Home Button until iTunes says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.”
  4. Let go of the Home Button. Your iPhone’s display will be completely black if you’ve successfully entered DFU mode. If it’s not, try again from the beginning.
  5. Restore your iPhone using iTunes.
  6. After the Restore you can now setup the iPhone as if was brand new.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I will be glad to answer them. Please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top.