Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Can't get my keyboard ready to,be recognized, It's a 6 year

Customer Question

Can't get my keyboard ready to,be recognized
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And have you had problems with this keyboard in the past?
Customer: It's a 6 year old lmac that hasn't been used for about a year. Have not had problems in the past. The keyboard works fine with my other iMac. I've tried both keyboards on this one and it can't find either one
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?
Customer: Yosemite
JA: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Purchased in 2011. Tried rebooting several times, used Bluetooth assistant, and the keyboard just isn't registering
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to assist you.

Please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you. Also please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

is this a mac wireless keyboard?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

okay have you tried replacing the batteries in the keyboard?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did. It works fine with my other iMac, but neither keyboard is being recognized by the older iMac.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Hmmm, i heard something similar recently with another customer, and do you have the magic mouse working with bluetooth?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the mouse is working fine
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

have you ever used the disk utility tool before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

can i give you instructions to try this to repair any damage to the max OSX and after that try and connect the keyboard, if that doesn't work we will move onto plan B

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. No keyboard commands required, I assume.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

nope, click on go and then utilities and look for disk utility, open it and click on first aid and then click on the hard drive and click on verify disk / file permissions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Go?
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

if you click on the desktop on a blank area, and then up on the top menu bar you should see go

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

alternatively if you want i can connect to you and do all the work for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got it. I clicked on first aid. Gives me two options. Verify disk permissions, repair disk permissions. You can't connect to me as this computer isn't on my network yet. That's what I was trying to do when I ran into this issue.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

okay so please first do verify and after that repair

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Verifying
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Complete. Now do repair?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a warning. SUID file system/library/cores has been modified and will not be repaired
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Permission repairs complete. Now what?
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

okay now try connecting the keyboard and if that doesnt work the next step is a reinstall of the os but you will need to borrow a wired keyboard for that part.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a wired keyboard. I just moved to this house and don't have anyone I could ask.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there any way to set up the network using just a mouse?
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

that only way to do the reinstall is via a keyboard, anyhow it doesn't have to be today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to reinstall the operating system in order to get my keyboard to work?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or just go buy a wired keyboard.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

yes there is, create a document on the working max that has the network passphrase typed out, save it onto a memory stick and insert that into that mac. open the documents, select and copy the code. then click to select the wifi network and paste the passphrase and hit okay

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

if you get a keyboard and then com back to me tomorrow than we can try the reinstall of the operating system. hopefully that will fix the bluetooth issue with the keyboard.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you. ***** just reopen my question tomorrow in order to chat with you?
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

yeah that is correct, just go to www.justanswer.com and click on "my questions" and you will get me there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, Jay.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

no problem, bye for now. Jay