Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I forgot password and I was told to hold down command and r

Customer Question

I forgot password ***** I was told to hold down command and r now it says welcome to open firmware now what
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: Never
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: Mac is x
JA: When did you purchase your Apple device? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried holding down the command and r button
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes when I do that a white screen comes up telling me to type mac boot
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to help you. I'm a computer business owner based in Scotland - UK. I have over 10 years experience in computing and a Bsc Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.

I will try and assist you, please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you.

Please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant.

We appreciate your patience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll wait on instructions I think I can do it with your help
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

just give me a few minutes and I can talk you through changing the password.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I'm waiting
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

okay so as soon as you switch on the mac press and hold command + R until you see the apple logo, after that it will load up to a recovery menu with different options, tell me when you get to that point please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok it just went to the sign in it shows me mac is x my name and sleep restart shut down
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OS is
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OS not is
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

okay please shut it down and try again, this time press and keep holding command + R as you switch it on till you see the apple logo...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I redid it now it says apple power mac8,2 5,2.5fi
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

did you get to the recovery menu that has different options?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it says welcome to open firmware too cotinue booting type mac-boot and press return
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Release keys to continue
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

I don't know whats going on but that's not right, hold old is the mac?

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

these are the official steps from apple -

restart your computer. Press the Command and R keys at the same time when the grey screen appears and hold them until you see the Apple logo. A small loading bar will appear under the logo. Sit tight as your system boots into Recovery Mode.

Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar, select Terminal, type resetpassword and press Enter. Close out the Terminal window and behind it you will find the Reset Password *****. All you have to do now is select the user account you want to reset, enter a new password or leave it blank and click Save. Then just simply restart the computer from the Apple menu and login with your new password. It's as easy as that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a1994 /2005 so I'm going to try again hold on plz
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

okay then things are very different with one of this age, I will need to look into this further and get back to you later. Jay

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok a circle lodging thing lode then it went right to user names sleep restart shut down
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

i will need to look into this and get back to you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok plz do thank you
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

no problem, Jay

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Hi i need to know what version of the mac operating system that you are running?