Danny Coloma
Danny Coloma, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  Service Technician, Service Manager, Off Site Tech at Apple Premium Service Provider in South Florida
98729200

I k, h a, have a 27, 6

Customer Question

I k
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: h a
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: have a 27
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: 6
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  michelleclive replied 8 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Please explain the problem a bit more in detail.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have a 26" I mac that shuts off at various times with no warning message. I have taken the unit to apple repair 2 times and no results. The occurrences are more frequent and very frustrating. Anything you can recommend?(###) ###-####

i will opt out as this is a mac question

Expert:  Richard replied 8 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

When it shuts off, does it shit down as normal or it switches off instantly?

Please let me know

Expert:  Jay Duployen replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to help you. I'm a computer business owner based in Scotland - UK. I have over 10 years experience in computing and a Bsc Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.

I will try and assist you, please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you.

Please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant.

We appreciate your patience.

Hi the main reason that computers shutdown like this is due to overheating, this is known as a thermal shutdown and is done to protect the system and the CPU from damage due to excessive heat. This can be caused by a dust build up around the fan and cooling system or because the fans are not working. Rather than taking it to Apple I would suggest taking it to an independent repair store that deals with macs and ask if they can check the fans and for dust build up. If they find nothing and the problem persists it would be due to a hardware fault such as a faulty motherboard, however in 90% of these cases, it is an overheating issue. Jay

Expert:  Richard replied 8 days ago.

Hi there,

Please let me know the answer to my last question

Thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 8 days ago.

Please reply to my last message

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The system shuts down quickly as though you pulled the plug
Expert:  Jay Duployen replied 7 days ago.

Sorry my mistake, Richie is assisting you with this question and not me. Jay

Expert:  Danny Coloma replied 7 days ago.
Hi, I work at an Apple shop and most of the time when a unit just shuts off it is because of a failing power supply. Did Apple replace anything at all? They might not have because it can be a difficult issue to duplicate and there aren't any tests to detect the problem. The best a shop can do is time the computer and see when it shuts off and replace the Power Supply and see if it shuts off or not with a new power supply. If it doesn't shut off with the new one then the problem is solved. It can be several days until they see the unit power off initially. If the computer still has warranty you can call apple and complain that you need it to be resolved and to please at least authorize the Apple Store or a service provider to replace the power supply without them being able to duplicate the issue. Complaining to Apple goes a long way and it has worked for many of my customers. If it is out of warranty then you would have to request for a repair shop to hold it for several days until they can duplicate the issue. This power issue you are having I 9 out of 10 times because of the Power Supply. I see it all the time.