Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

It won't connect to the internet. I know the internet is ok

Customer Question

it won't connect to the internet. I know the internet is ok because th computer is working.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: App
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Apple I Pad, haven't installed any updates. It's been down since Thursday. I went to the store this morning and a very nice girl looked at it and though she fixed it but not so.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: went into settings. made sure I wsn't on airplane mode and bluetooth off, as its not
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: its not compatable to bluetooth
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

Why will it not connect to the Internet? Does it give you any error messages?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't wish to do this remotely. please cancel this service
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't wish to do this remotely, please cancel this service

We don't have to do anything remotely. You can ignore that automatic offer for remote services.

We can work on this page, but you have to answer the questions that I pose so that I can give you the correct answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just said no internet. When I go to settings my router comes up but nothing under IP address

- Go to Settings > Wifi

- Tap your network and then tap Forget this network and forget it.

- Then tap your network again, enter the password, and connect.

What happens now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's still not connecting. I tried to type router # in but won't allow it

When you say that you typed in the Router#, does that mean you typed in the wireless password? It sounds like you may have the wrong password. What is the brand and model name of your wireless router/modem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got the password ***** ok but when it didn't connect I clicked on wifi and only subnet and IP address comes up. It's a Verizon router. Does WEP mean anything.

Yes, WEP is an old level of wireless encryption. I suspect that the IP looks like this: 169.254.... Is that correct? That means that you may have entered the wrong password.

May I remote into your system for free, with no additional charge? I simply wish to look at your Verizon wireless configuration to make sure that you are entering the correct password.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.

Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 89 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
(After the file finishes downloading, please open the file and run it.)

Hello again,

I see that you are not connected, yet.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Thank you,
***** *****

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please remember I don't have any trouble connecting to internet on laptop, just I pad

Yes, I know that.

It turns out that you are using WEP. I suggested that you use WPA or WPA2 on the router; however, you stated that you are not ready to do that.

I suggest that you do that soon. WEP is not secure at all. When testing, I can crack a WEP password ***** under 2 minutes. It would take me weeks, months, or I may not be able to crack it if a good WPA2 password ***** *****

You have chosen to not do as I suggested. May I ask how you wish to continue?