Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Have mac book pro. has a lot of stuff on it. now says there

Customer Question

Hey pearl. Have mac book pro. has a lot of stuff on it. now says there is not enough room for any addition including photos, videos. etc. I have transferred hundreds of photographs to external drive. Still not room. Also says startup disk is full. Help please.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 2013, Yosimitie I believe. OS
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: OS X EL Capitan, 10.11.6. only what has popped up to upgrade
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried moving files onto an external drive. Tried to clean it up
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of except it runs slowly. Just not herself these days.
Category: Mac
Expert:  kanoko replied 5 months ago.

I would be glad to help. There are a number of reasons you could be having this problem. To better understand the problem can you make sure all of your drives are plugged in and connected, and then open the Disk Utility app from the Launchpad icon on your Dock. The Disk Utility may be inside a folder labeled Tools or Utilities. Once you have the app open, let me know the size of all of your drives, and how much free space each one has.