Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

I'm trying to restore an iPad via my Mac. All seems to be

Customer Question

Hi there. I'm trying to restore an iPad via my Mac. All seems to be going well until I get a command saying 'to all access, please respond on you iPad'. I pad simply says that it is 'disabled' so I can't respond on it. Any thoughts? Thanks. Jim
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?
Customer: No idea, it has been off for over a year though
JA: When did you purchase your iPad? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Its my partners. Its a mini 2. I think she got it a couple of years ago. Nothing I can do to trouble;eshoot on iPad as it will not let me in
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thats it I think
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi there. Have you any guidance please?ThanksJim
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Pete. It has been 6 1/2 hours since I made contact. The only response I have is that you are looking at it. Any thoughts please? Thanks. Jim
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have been looking into this.

You will need to try recovering the iPad as follows:

1. Open iTunes on your Mac.

2. Plug cable into computer first, NOT the iPad just yet.

3. Turn the iPad off.

4. Hold the Home button and plug the cable into the iPad. Do not release the Home button until an iTunes graphic appears on the iPad.

5. Look at the Mac - it should have a message about recovery mode; click ok and restore the iPad.

Let me know if that works?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Pete. That is what I have been doing. It is much further on when it then says: 'to all access, please respond on you iPad' .... The Ipad is disabled though so this does not help as I can't 'respond' on the iPad. This is as I said in my first note. Can you let me know how I overcome this problem please. Thanks. Jim
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Pete. Any advice? I had picked up the last bit from Google anyway. Ten hours since I made contact now. I'd really appreciate your insight. Thanks. Jim
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Ok, are you using the same Mac that the iPad was originally set up with, or a different one?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, a different mac
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Ok, then that is the reason it is not working - the recovery can only be done on the original Mac, it is an anti-theft feature from Apple.

Do you still have access to the original Mac?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No. What other options do I have?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My last mac simply died. I can't believe that this is the case with iPads, it certainly doesn't seem to apply to iPhones?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Most iPhones will be synced with iCloud now to allow their recovery.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Your only option with the iPad will be to attempt to put it into recovery mode and then wipe everything on it and try to set it up as new again.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
how do you think I could get the iPad back? It feels like a viking death with the dependents being buried with the king! Cant be the case!
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

You may be able to get it working again, but you will loose everything on it, since it has been disabled (probably because the incorrect password ***** entered too many times) and you don't have access to the original Mac that it was set up on.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ive tried recovery mode (I think) and to restore factory settings using the method you suggested. It still asks for me to 'respond' via the iPad though.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Ok, how did the iPad get into disabled mode?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thats exactly what has happened. Disabled due to too many disabled password *****
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry, i meant incorrect password *****
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Any thoughts Pete?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Pete. I would really appreciate your thoughts please. Nearly 12 hours since I made contact and so far I have pretty much what google was telling me any way. Does it make a difference how it was disabled? If so how do I proceed? Many thanks Jim
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Sorry for the delays, I am not getting notified when you reply so I have to check back occasionally.

Yes it makes a difference how it was disabled, for example if it was reported lost or stolen then it may be permanently disabled.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

So what you do to put the iPad into Recovery Mode without the original Mac is this:

1. Unplug the sync cable from your iPad
  2. Turn off your iPad (hold the power button down, slide to power off)
  3. Press and hold the Home button and plug in the sync cable
  4. Don’t let go of the Home button until you see “Connect to iTunes”. When you see it, let go.
  5. Then iTunes will Restore the device (to factory). Which means you’ll have some work to do to get things back.

Let me know if that works?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It has not been reported lost or stolen.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That does not work. It is what you said 4 hours ago and what you get if you just google the problem. My issue is (for the third time) that it gets through that process and then asks for the Ipad to recognise the process. The Ipad simply says that it is 'disabled' so I can't respond on it. How do I solve this problem? please
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

This is the only method that can be used and it should work if followed correctly.

If it keeps saying that the iPad is disabled then either the steps are not being followed correctly (disconnecting and connecting the sync cable at the correct time is important), or the cable is not working, or something else is amiss.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ive tried it like 20 times. I'll try again.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It actually says 'restore' and the 'restore + update' in the next window. Trying it yet again. I'll take it into the apple store if it does not work. Is there anything else you can think of?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Have you tried both options - restore, and restore + update?

There isn't anything else I can think of - this is the only process that you can use.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yep. Tried them both. Struggle to believe you have not come across this before. Advice is straight from google. Please confirm that I will not be charged. Thanks Pete. Jim
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Hi Jim,

The only time I have come across this before is on iPads and iPhones which were reported as stolen, but you have confirmed that that is not the case.

The same answer can readily be found in Google, and on the Apple website, and in many other places, because it is the ONLY answer.

The answer I have given you is correct and is the only answer you can try. Did you confirm that the USB cable is working ok?

I am user of this site just like you, so I don't have any insight into your account or charges.

Pete.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Pete. Its the correct answer to the wrong question. My problem is that the restore programme requires the iPad to respond to it half way through but I can't do this because its disabled. That is what I had asked for help with from the start
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

Ok, let me check with the other techs on this...

Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

Hi there

There is actually a mistake in the instructions you have been given, you need to connect the iPad then you hold both the power and home buttons until you see iTunes telling you it has detected a iPad in recovery mode.

Then you need to do a restore and then choose factory restore

Tell me what happens when you do this please.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks Pete / Richard. We will give it a go
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

you're welcome

Please let me know the results.

Expert:  Pete replied 7 days ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.