Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

It has locked me out. I cannot escape Safari or close it so

Customer Question

It has locked me out. I cannot escape Safari or close it so the computer will not let me shut it down because it tells me Safari has not been closed.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I think I am still running snow leopard. Not sure.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Tried to update it several times. It always ask me to update but I learned that it never updated. I am not very good with computers. My computer is about 5 or 6 years old. An I MAC.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It will not let me go into system preferences or any files.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was reading AOL news articles when a pop up came on and said not to shut down my computer because it would erase my hard drive. Then everything sort of ended.
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 5 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

That sounds like an adware scam. Dont worry about the contents of the hard drive, it will not be affected. it is only connected to the safari web browser.

Follow these steps please.

press and hold the power button until the Mac powers off. Then power back on normally while holding the shift key down. This will start up the Mac in safe mode.

Then clear the safari browser web cache.

1. Open Safari on the Mac
  2. If you haven’t done so already, choose to show the optional Develop menu by going to Safari menu in the upper left corner, choose Preferences > Advanced > “Show Develop menu in menu bar”, then close out of Preferences
  3. Back at any Safari browser window, pull down the “Develop” menu and choose “Empty Caches”
  4. Wait a few seconds and the Safari web caches will be cleared completely, allowing fresh web content to be pulled from the remote web servers without having any local cache serving for that session

Did that work for you?