Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have Office:Mac on my Mac OS x computer. But I cannot open

Customer Question

I have Office:Mac on my Mac OS x computer. But I cannot open any of the Office products. A message comes up stating that Classic is no longer supported. How can I continue to use Microsoft Word or Excel on my computer?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I Mac 21.5 inch Mid 2011 model
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

I'm very sorry to hear that you're running into this problem. I will do everything I can to assist!

The Classic Environment is Apple's software that supports running Mac OS 9 apps on Mac OS X. ("Mac OS Classic" refers to Mac OS versions before Mac OS X.) Both Mac OS 9 and Classic are really old: Mac OS 9 was discontinued in 2001, and the last version of OS X to support Classic is 10.4 (Tiger), which was released in 2005.

The fact that you're receiving this message is odd, seeing as how your Mac would have shipped with OS X Lion...so Classic would have never been supported in the first place! The best course of action will be for us to completely remove and then reinstall Office.

Before we undertake that task, I need to ask: what version of Microsoft Office do you have, and do you still have your installation disc?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I have the installation disc. The version is Office: Mac v. X (10.0 English VUP CO)
Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd like to try it myself.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My Mac is an iMac with OS Sierra 10.12