Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

Yesterday I mistakenly opened an ad on my ipad. It tells me

Customer Question

Yesterday I mistakenly opened an ad on my ipad. It tells me that I have a virus and that I need to send them an email or call Apple Support. I can't get it to go away and I won't press send or call the phone number that they are suggesting. Any ideas how to get this to go away?
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: Actually I was on Safari and this just popped up. I'm guessing it is taking me to mail???
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No but I did install an app called World Recipies and 17DayDiet.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just turned off the ipad and turned it back on. Don't really know what to do, this is my first time having problems with the ipad. By the way everything else is working fine.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does this issue only occur when you open Safari app (the Internet) on your phone?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please try the following fix:

1. Open the Settings app icon on your iPad.
  2. There, tap on the Safari option on the left (if needed, scroll down on the left first.)
  3. Then tap on the option Clear History and Website Data on the right (if needed, scroll down on the right first.)
  4. Then tap on the option Clear to confirm.
  5. Then open Safari app, and it should work fine now.
    - (If needed, press and hold both the Power (On / Off) button and the Home button (which is located right below the screen) together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, and check.)

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The Clear History and Website Data is light grey color and won't allow me to click on it.

Sorry, on your iPad, please press and hold both the Power (On / Off) button and the Home button (which is located right below the screen) together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, then try the first 4 steps again.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I have to go to the dentist - I'll be back later. Thanks

You're welcome. OK, please take your time. If Clear History and Website Data is still grayed out, then please try the following:

- Open Settings app icon, then tap on option General. Then scroll down on the right as needed, then tap on option Restrictions. Then enter your Restrictions Passcode (that you set up previously.) Then there, tap on option Websites. Then under the selection ALLOWED WEBSITES, tap on option All Websites.

- Once that is done, go to Settings -> General -> Safari, then it should let you tap on Clear History and Website Data, and Clear. Then open Safari app and check.

- (If needed, search / get / install the Google Chrome app in App Store, and use the Chrome app icon for internet access.)

Please let me know how it goes later; I will help further if there is still any issue. Thank you.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,