Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cannot get MacBook Pro to start - goes as far as the

Customer Question

Hi I cannot get MacBook Pro to start - goes as far as the startup apple and turns off
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I'd say 2 years and have been doing updates
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not very recently - about a week or two before Christmas (may be more like 3 years old)
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have been pressing control/option/shift/power before pressing start button by itself; then pressing shift between start up sound and before apple; finally put a code fsk -fy in but said not rdcog
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 days ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 days ago.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, if it starts up you held the power button before the other keys, try again.

4. Release all the keys and the power but

ton at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. (You have to do it pretty fast if you miss it just shut down by holding the power button for 10 seconds then start it up and continue with step 6).

7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.

8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. Let me know after.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hi Mike, finally got back to my computer problem! Sorry about the delay.
I have gotten as far as disk utility/Macintosh HD/first aid but no 'run' appears. It says 'if no repair disk is available, click verify disk etc' I tried verify disk but then says (I think) still checking - should I let it run for a long time? Or go back and start over?
Cheers, John
Expert:  Mike replied 2 days ago.

Let it run

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi Mike, the history seems ok until it says:
Checkingjournaled HFS Plus volume
Invalid extent entry
The volume could not be verified completely
File system check exit code is 8
Error: this disk needs to be repaired. Click repair disk
However, the 'repair disk' button is greyed out.
Clicking 'verify disk' simply brings up a box saying this disk needs to be repaired.
Cheers, John
Expert:  Mike replied 1 day ago.

OK in that case do you have a backup? Basically we have to try and erase it instead. If that fails the drive may be dead or failing too

Expert:  Mike replied 1 day ago.

First try rebooting while holding Option Command R to try Internet Recovery.