Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

Since uploading OS Sierra on my iMac, Excel 2016 will not

Customer Question

Since uploading OS Sierra on my iMac, Excel 2016 will not start, because many if not all of the files are corrupted. What can I do. I purchased a special software package but it did nothing, I've also cleared all Cache in Library and purged Pram. Nothing has worked so far. I've also deleted are reloaded Excel.
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?
Customer: iMac purchased in 2011. Excel from Office 216 for Mac.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Sierra and 1 update for it.
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

What is the error you are getting when you try to open Excel files?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm unable to rate as I haven't received an answer and I'm not receiving an answer because I'm unwilling to pay additional monies for it. So, thanks for nothing!
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for any confusion, you do not need to pay any additional monies.

You can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site and I have no control over them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Pete,
When I click on the Excel icon, it opens with a statement that file so & so is corrupted and must be sent to Apple in a report. I've done that twice to no avail. when I acknowledge the error note by clicking "ok", immediately one or more additional files come up. This will continue until the window is full of such files. None of them are in English.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Ok, sending the report may help them fix any bugs for future software releases, but it will not help you in the short term.

Could you try opening one of the files on a different Mac to see if it works there?

Or attach a file here using the Add File button so that I can try opening it here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was ok on my iPad.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Ok, so the files are ok but your Mac is not able to open them..

It may be trying to use the wrong application or the wrong version of Excel.

On the Mac, select one of the Excel files in Finder, then Right click on the file and choose “Get Info.”

Change the application in the “Open with:” drop down box to Excel 2016.

Let me know if it opens ok?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
in trying to open a file i red'd this error message: Health Care Directive-2.doc: file format is not valid. If I click ok, i'll get another exactly the same, etc. Maybe you should take over.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

A .doc file is not an Excel file, that is why it is not valid.

You will need to try opening the .doc file with Word.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if it opens ok with Word for Mac?