Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My task bar at the bottom of my screen has disappeared plus

Customer Question

Hi my task bar at the bottom of my screen has disappeared plus my desktop background is now grey and I cannot seem to change the desktop picture...
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: 10.7.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: NO
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I havent tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would not want to lose any files since I have no back up
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive. It could be the hard drive that is failing. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column(Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop with the toolbar ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Didnt work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Whenever i turn on my pc spotlight starts indexing it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
now a raibow colored circle 8s spinning to indicate that it is doing something
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

It is possible that the core system files are corrupted. What happened prior to this ?