John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I updated my ipad, but can't receive my Verification code. I

Customer Question

I updated my ipad, but can't receive my Verification code. I don't have a cell phone, can't retrieve Text messages, and it wasn't on my email
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?
Customer: aol
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: YES
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Looked on my email account and in my spam folder
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to be able to use my ipad, but can't without that verification code. He could call me with it, or put in on my emails
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Can you tell me what you were doing when you were prompted to verify your account?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had just update my ipad, followed the other instructions, and when it said "press home" , I saw nothing to press and can't use my ipad. I have NO CELL PHONE, can't receive or send texts and therefor can't get the verification code that it requires
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just send my verification code to my EMAIL or call me at my home phone...which is the only phone I have

Ok,

let's step back a minute and verify a few things so I can help you get past this.

First off, the Home button is the round button located directly below the screen.

When you press it, is this when you are asked for a code?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I has been asking me for a code and I DON'T have it

Ok, it sounds like the iPad is asking you for your own Passcode, not a verification code.

The Passcode is not a code that can be sent to you because that code only exists on the device itself... but it must be one that was set at some point since purchase and has now been triggered as part of the update.

I'm afraid we are at Apple's mercy here as there is only one way to get past this point if you've forgotten that code, and that is to reset and restore the iPad.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove the passcode, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 users) > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

-> Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

-> Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

-> Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

-> Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

-> iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When we are finished, please give my answers a positive rating so I will be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't receive Verification code because I DON'T have a CELL PHONE

Did you read my reply? Going on the information you have told me this is a passcode issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got it fixed

Great, glad to hear it!

Please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Insert “For John T. F. only” in your initial question and you can, also, submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like my money back as I had to call someone else to help me...

Actually you didn't need to call anyone else as I was in the process of helping you, it just didn't seem like you were responding to my replies.

In any case, I am not an employee of JustAnswer and do not have access to your account details to handle requests of this nature.

You can access http://ww2.justanswer.com/help for account help or contact customer service directly via***@******.*** with any financial concerns.

If you change your mind I am here to assist.

Thanks,