Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I bought a new Mac and I didn't notice that it does not have

Customer Question

I bought a new Mac and I didn't notice that it does not have a place for CDs. It never occurred to me that I could not play my CDs and make new CDs on my new Mac OS Sierra and I have given my old Mac away. I AM NOT HAPPY!! I love to go to iTunes and make my own CDs and now I can't. What can I do? Can I buy attachments!
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Mac OS Sierra; 10.12.2
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, I have not had this computer even a week.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: What is there to troubleshoot if this computer does not have the features my old computer had? I did not think a new Mac would not have a means to play CDs and movies. I thought ALL Macs played movies and CDs. I love to go to iTunes and make CDs for my car--and now I can't. I wish I had not given my old Mac a way.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. My concern is that I bought a computer not knowing that it did not have a place to play CDs and movies and I can't not go to iTunes and record CDs for my car. I wish I had my old computer back! It never occurred to me that a new computer would have less than my old computer. It's my fault--that I didn't check--I get that. But I thought ALL Macs had capability to play CDs and movies and to record your own. Now I have a new computer and it doesn't do these things. I just never knew that I to look to see if a brand new Mac and the capabilities to do the things that my old could do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry about that. Apple had removed disc drivers from 2012 or 2013 models onwards to make it more "thinner". But you can buy any brand of external USB DVD drives and they will work with your Mac. See here --> https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=external+dvd+drove

If you want Apple's own DVD Drive, then you can buy the Apple USB SuperDrive from here --> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb-superdrive

Then you can plug it to the USB port and it will work without any additional software.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied with my answer, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Remember, you are rating my service or answer to you, not the iMac or service from Apple.