Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Trackpad won't scroll, This is a MB Pro running Sierra, This

Customer Question

Trackpad won't scroll
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: This is a MB Pro running Sierra
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: This is a new machine, built via Migration assistant from a 2010-vintage MacBook
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I verified that the problem is confined to a single account. Then I deleted the appropriate Sys config files and zapped the PRAM. I also tried resetting the default scroll behavior in com.apple.trackpad.scrollBehavior. All to no avail.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. That's it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

So it works fine on other computer accounts?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Please restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things as well as turn off many third party add ons. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK, login then see if the problem persists.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Booting in Safe Mode does not alleviate the problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Ok but it is fine when you log into a different user?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

OK since you used the Migration Assistant there could be corruption in some files so I suggest you reinstall Sierra from Recovery HD:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. If that is ok quit the Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X. That should replace any corrupt system fils with clean versions. Let me know.