Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson,
Experience:  Training and Development at Scientifically Speaking
81238384

Contacts lost after upgrade to Sierra. I have three Macs

Customer Question

Contacts lost after upgrade to Sierra. I have three Macs (two MacBook Pro's and one Mac mini. Alls upgraded, all worked fine, but my contacts are gone form the Mac mini. All are sync'd their iCloud, as is my phone and iPad. The iCloud site is happy with the contacts, only the Mac min seems to have lost its marbles. I've turned iCloud sign off and an a bunch of times, no change. There is one and only one contact in my Mac mini address book. The world will not end if I loose that. I've seen some web posts that suggest deleting the AddresBook files (AddressBook-v22.abcddb*, in Applications. I tried that, restarted Contacts , the files came back the same size but with today's date and the same symptoms. Also tried doing the same thing with iCloud sync disabled, Contacts came up empty until I re-enabled iCloud and then it went back to the same state (1 card only in Mac mini contacts, all others happy). Oh yes, and that one contact which is in the Mac mini also made it into the other iCloud copies. Any ideas?
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: One MacBook pro is 2010, the other 2012. The problem, however, is with my Mac Min, which is 2015 vintage.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: It's running 10.12.1, but I've wrestling on and off with this problem wince my 10.12 upgrade. BTW, there's another Mac mini in the house which is on a different account and that one doesn't exhibit this problem.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: You did read the start of this thread, right?
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Please go ahead and make the connection
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

If time is of the essence, the fastest way in which I can help you is via a secure remote connection. That will provide a temporary connection where I can fix this problem on screen, in person.

I'm sending the offer for that service now, once accepted we will start the connection process. If you reject the offer, we will continue via written word alone.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Never mind - if there isn't an answer that I can do we won't pursue this.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 days ago.

I may have misunderstood what you meant when you said you wanted to start the connection.

( connection = remote support )

I can try to guide you through an answer to this via written suppor if thats what you prefer.

The contacts that dissapeared, were they part of your mac contact book, or an outlook contact book, or thunderbird?

Where precisely were the contacts stored and outline your normal process of what you click and open to view those contacts.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The contacts were all synced though iCloud with multiple devices. After the update to Sierra, those contacts disappeared off the Mac Mini, and are still present on iCloud and all the other Apple devices sync'ed to iCloud.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh, and by the way, all the other things sync'd through iCloud (photos, reminders, music) all sync correctly to the Mac mini, so this is not an iCloud account issue.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 days ago.

Understood.

have you tried going to the icloud control panel, disconnecting your icloud account completely.

Then reconnecting it and letting it sync again? If not, lets try o ne small step first, then do the above

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the upper right hand side, click first aid, then click first aid again.

Then, go to the icloud control panel and remove your account.. restart the mac, then readd your icloud account.

Do the contacts come back now?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No I haven't tried bailing completely out of iCloud, so let me try that one first....
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 days ago.

Allright, just make sure you do the first aid step either before, or after you bail from icloud.

D.S

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 days ago.

Its been some time since i Heard from you.. Have you resolved the issue on your own, or do you still need help?

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Yeah, I tried your proposal, it made things a little worse (the one contact that was in Contacts is now also disappeared) so I'm giving up on this approach - I guess I'll live with the problem until I have the time to go looking elsewhere for a solution. Thanks for your time and trouble.
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 2 days ago.

I feel like you have given up all hope, but if your contacts are all in iCloud I can fix the issue you are having. Can I help you do that?

Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 1 day ago.

I have not received a rating yet, is there a reason why?