David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I have many apps associated with an apple ID that I have not

Customer Question

I have many apps associated with an apple ID that I have not had for years. My apps pop up and want the password ***** this email account I can't retrieve it because I no longer have access to the account.
JA: When did you last reset your Apple ID or password?
Customer: I have added a new email and password ***** new apps recently
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just looking on you tube and other resources to find out how to keep that email from popping up
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The email is***@******.*** Haven't used it for years
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 13 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 13 days ago.

The Apps purchased under the older Apple ID will stay associated with that Apple ID, you can't migrate them. To update them with App Store you will need to login with the old Apple ID , no way around that.

You say that you have no access to that old email, well you don't need access to the email to reset the password ***** the Apple ID. You can reset the Apple ID password ***** going to this link:

iforgot.apple.com

Follow the instructions step by step to reset. If you want more information on resetting there is information here:

support.apple.com/HT201487

Or if you have any further questions please get back to me here. Please take a moment to use the star rating above to rate my answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This still requires me to have the old email setup. It says to go to the email to change password. I tried to recreate the email account but can't.
Expert:  David replied 12 days ago.

You also have the other option of answering the security questions too. Have you tried that option?

Also the email that is your primary rescue email might be different than the email part of your Apple ID.

You can try signing into all email accounts to check if you get the reset email.

Also you can try resetting, logging into that old email account by going to the homepage of the email provider and logging in or resetting the password.

Expert:  David replied 12 days ago.

More information here: http://support.apple.com/HT201487

Expert:  David replied 12 days ago.

You can try sign into that old email account here:

https://www.icloud.com/

You can try resetting the password ***** it too, using security questions or rescue email account.

First I would try resetting the Apple ID using the security questions though, as I said first. Let me know how it goes.