Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Mac Lap top is currently stuck on the apple icon with a

Customer Question

My Mac Lap top is currently stuck on the apple icon with a grey screen with a fuzz made up of white and black lines with a kernel panic . When this first happened it stayed like until after i tried safe booting a few times it came back to life. I tried first aid. I then booted to a external hard drive and it worked fine for an hour or so now its back to the same messed up and frozen screen but without a panic. I thank you for any help i may receive on this matter.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I have had it for 4 years or so with not so much as a blip.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I did a reinstall 2 months ago but i should say have been running snow leopard 10.6.8 and recently found my browser could not be updated any more but it didn't bother me to much. I using an Imac with the same OS.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: When i ran first aid on the drive it did seem to say something about ( This should say this, but it says this) It continued like that for a paragraph or two. I then re started it normally, and it came back for an hour or so I did have mirrored screens at the time After it happened again. I booted an external hard drive with just the OS on it and was running disk utility repair on the offending drive when it dfid it again
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont beleave so. Thank you
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 days ago.

Lets try two steps, and if you see any error messages on screen with the second step let me know.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Then, immediately shut down the mac.. And then we want to start in single user mode and run the command on the following page 2-3 times..

http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/07/how-to-repair-a-mac-disk-with-fsck-from-single-user-mode/

Once thats complete, before you exit single user mode, disconnect any USB drives, SD cards, phones, external hard drives, and remove any cds that might be in the tray.

Then, exit single user mode and try to start normally.. What exactly happens?

Dustin S