Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Travis, Yosemite 10.11.6, No installed OS updates recently.

Customer Question

Hi Travis,
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Hi Pearl!
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yosemite 10.11.6
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: No installed OS updates recently.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Th issue now is "the selected device has no output control."
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What type of Mac is this ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
MacBook Pro
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Are you not getting any sound from Mac ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no sound from my audio interface/speakers
connected to my mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

There are two reasons for this problem. Either the sound chip has failed or this is a glitch with system.

First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that didn't work,then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Ashik,
My computer shut down and so I am just now getting to your answers and trying them.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, No problem. Take your time and let me know the results please

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Trying your 2nd suggestion...
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Still not working... My audio interface, which is the selected device, still has no output controls.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

I'm afraid the internal sound chip has failed. When you turn on the Mac, does it make any sound ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It makes a sound.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I get audio when internal speakers are selected.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Wait, I thought the internal speakers are not working. So does this happen on external speakers only ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Output from my audio interface, which is connected to my external monitors has no output controls.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Sorry I'm a little confused. What is exact setup your Mac and other devices ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Is this a new issue ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry, I should have started at the setup...
I have a Nord Stage 2 ex 88 keyboard connected to a Focusrite 6i6 audio interface via 1/4" cables; Nord midi out is connected to the 6i6 via a midi cable; and the 6i6 connects to the Mac via a USB cable. The Nord connects to Mac via a USB cable,
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I've been trying to fix this for about a week and a half. Just got keyboard a few weeks ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Trying now...
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have the "stage 2 EX" and the latest version of the Nord OS, 2.14, is up to date.
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 days ago.

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on this one. Sorry.

I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

It is a digital interface so it has no output controls that just means you don't change the volume, etc.. on the Mac. Open Finder > Applications > Scarlett MixControl. That's what you use for the controls... Your OS should automatically switch the computer’s default audio outputs to be the USB port to which the Scarlett 6i6 is connected. To verify this, go to System Preferences > Sound, and ensure that the input and output are set to Scarlett 6i6. For more detailed setup options on a Mac, open Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 days ago.

Do you still need help?