Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

When my iMac goes into sleep mode, I cannot wake it up. No

Customer Question

When my iMac goes into sleep mode, I cannot wake it up. No matter how long I keep the ON button depressed, it does not respond. I have unplugged the peripherals, and restarted, and that has an effect for a time, but when the peripherals are replugged and sleep mode enacts, again: no start without unplugging power and then replugging power.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: It is a new machine (about 2 months) as has functioned perfectly before now. I am not a techie however.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: NO
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I looked on the web and saw the suggestion about unplugging everything and trying again, which worked at the time...but this morning, it went back into a coma rather than sleep
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I love this machine, and would like to have it back functioning!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi Sidney and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It looks like we're dealing with an hardware issue probably with the internal board. The reset you've been trying is called SMC (System Management Controller) Reset which is supposed to fix the sleep issues permanently. Even if the Mac is unable to wake up from Sleep, it should have reponded when you hold down the Power button for 5-10 seconds. To make sure this is not a glitch with the hardware or software, we can do some troubleshooting.

First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.

Wait 20 seconds. Hold down Power button for 5 seconds.

Attach the power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

This will reset the SMC. Now I want you to reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

Then turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.