Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

MY IMAC DESKTOP BLUE BACKGROUND DOES NOT COVER THE WHOLE

Customer Question

MY IMAC DESKTOP BLUE BACKGROUND DOES NOT COVER THE WHOLE SCREEN ONLY THE MIDDLE SECTION. IT IS ALL BLACK ON BOTH SIDES. I TRIED RESOLUTIONS BUT THAT IS NTO THE PROBLEM
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: ALOT
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: YES I AM AT EL CAPITAN 10.11.6
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: CHANGING RESOLUTION AND RESETTING PRAM AND VRAM ... NO DICE
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO OTHER THAN NORMALLY THE DESKTOP NORMALLY COVERS THE WHOLE SCREEN WITH A BLUE BACKGROUND. NOW ONLY THE MIDDLE SECTION OF THE SCREEN IS BLUE AND THERE ARE BLACK SEGMENTS ONE ON THE LEFT AND ONE OR THE RIGHT NOT BLUE
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

Sounds like a hardware failure:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.

8. Release the keys

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am waiting for my mailbox to be validated from the new El Capitan update. Please wait.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

OK

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok did that still have the problem
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not interested in remote login
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

That wasn't from me, idiots on the site... Restart holding Command R if the screen is the same then you have a hardware failure and it needs repair if not let me know...

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Mike are you still there
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

YEs did you get that

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
rebooting
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

OK let me know

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am restoring from a time capsule backup. That says 55 minutes.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Now saying 1 hour
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am going to bed and let it do its thing. If that solves the problem then I have no problem paying the full $25 but I won't know until the morning. If it does not solve the problem and you say it is a hardware issue how can I be sure?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Mike are you still there?
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

I never said to do that I just said to boot holding Command R, was the screen ok when you got to Utilities ?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

If so you should have checked the drive first. We only guarantee a correct answer even if it means you need to have the machine repaired.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok maybe I messed up. I did the command R and it restarted and took me to the screen where there was a little window asking which language and I clicked on English and then it took me to the rstore from time capsule .again my apologies. Where to from here?
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

So did the screen look ok when you got to Utilities screen?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't think I ever got to the utilities screen. Does control R just launch the utilities tool?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've used the utilities tool for disk verification and repair in the past so since we started talking I did not get to the utility screen Sorry if I messed up.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

You can't stop it now if the problem is the same let me know tomorrow please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok I got to that screen but I guess I jumped the gun and chose the restore from disk. Sorry. Ok I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. How do I reach you again?
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

Bookmark this page

Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

If you go to that screen and it was fine then there is probably is not a hardware failure.. That't what I was trying to see

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah I saw that screen. So how will I reconnect with you tomorrow?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok I will bookmark this page. Thanks. Randy
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

Bookmark this page then post a message when you are ready

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 10 days ago.

k

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok by not following all of your advise I fixed the problem by reinstalling the operating statements. Your answer was leaning toward the fact that it probably is a hardware problem. So I am wondering if there is a way to pay part of the $25 fee since your answer did not solve my problem but I want to get you some compensation? Suggestions?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 days ago.

No actually I said if the screen was fine in Recovery HD then it was not a hardware problem. You just reinstalled without checking the drive first which is what I would have had you do, then reinstall. Please check it now to be sure.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.

As far as the price I have no control over that.

Customer service would be happy to help you. Select the link below.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!