Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.
93256567

We have a new cell phone which we my husband tried to set up

Customer Question

We have a new cell phone which we my husband tried to set up a security with his thumb print. He thought he got it but it repeatedly asked for back-uo with a back-up number.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: I am on a 6 I-phone.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, the safe drivers app from state farm app and apple.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I really don't know what trouble shooting to do to get into the phone?
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't really kow?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 13 days ago.
Hello! When setting up the iPhone, you would be required to first setup a 6-digit PIN (or, alternatively, a 4-digit PIN or passphrase) at a step prior to enrolling your fingerprint. If subsequent scanning of your fingerprint is unsuccessful in unlocking your phone, you would then be required to type in your PIN to unlock your phone. This latter is what it sounds like you're describing.If you cannot recall your PIN, you would need to reset your iPhone and complete the setup steps again. To do this, follow the steps you'll find here:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306I hope that helps! Please do post back if you have additional questions...or just to confirm that the above helped you get back into your iPhone!