Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Itunes and Apple TV are both set to share. My apple TV 1p

Customer Question

My Itunes and Apple TV are both set to share. My apple TV 1p address is `192.168.124.101, but I cannot ping it from my windows itunes computer... bot***** *****ne I cannot share music.... any thoughts on getting them in sync?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: My itunes machine in an MS surface running win7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: this is a VM machine. I tried turning sharing off and on on both itunes and the apple tv. also switching the vm machine for Nat to Bridged mode
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 15 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When you cannot ping a device, it means either

1. it is not connected to the local network (or, is 'broken' in its network hardware, etc.)

2. it is not going to respond to anyone's pings from anywhere... this can be simple security or the way the device is built.

or

3. (most readily fixed:) the firewall on your Surface is blocking such pings to that address. Try going into your Surface's firewall settings and ALLOW a PING to just that one local address, 192.168.124.101, and see what happens. (Allowing PING operations indiscriminately is a bad idea, by the way.)

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. I am at breakfast, but will try your solution when I get back

That's fine. Enjoy breakfast. You may return at any time at

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/a166j-itunes-apple-tv-set-share-apple-tv-1p.html