Alex Lako
Alex Lako,
Experience:  Computer Specialist at Alex Lako Services and Support
96848705

Every time I set up a new password, Apple rejects it and I

Customer Question

Every time I set up a new password, Apple rejects it and I am so tired of playing these dumb games!
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: About a month ago
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I'm trying to update it now, but it's rejecting my password *****
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything I know, every ID I ever created-I hear the same story from everyone I know
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Why can't one password ***** enough.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kevin T replied 15 days ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 15 days ago.

If you set your account into correctly it's very easy to get access to your account.

If you forget the info, it's a problem.

Would you like to create a new one and keep a record of the recovery info?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Why do blame me? It's apple! Everyone I talk to has the same problem!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Why do you always try to make money off of YOUR ignorance. What a setup!
Expert:  Bob James replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help.

I have seen this on Apple IDs, it is very frustrating - you go through the steps to reset the Apple ID password ***** are successful, but when you try to use it it says it's locked again. Is this what you're experiencing? If so, the only way to get resolution is to go to an Apple Store (possibly online, but an Apple Store is just quicker and less frustrating) - they have a 'special' method of restoring the Apple ID and making sure it no longer continues in the reset/lock/reset/lock loop.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

Bob

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** how am I to know how to get out of the reset/lock/reset/lock loop? It's a trap to get you to buy something every time. Evidently, it works every time!!!!! I've been to your "special" method, that wasn't very "special" either. There's some kind of scam going on - too many get caught up in it! Don't blame the consumer, please. Most of us are not computer savvy and most of what we're being told goes right over our heads. I appreciate your help anyway, but I'm nowhere near alone out here. Sorry we could not connect. Pat Werking
Expert:  Bob James replied 15 days ago.

Hi Pat,

I'm not sure I understand your response. My suggestion, because I know it works, is to take the issue to an Apple Store - they have never charged anybody I know that was in this lock/reset/lock loop - they simply help the person in a very short amount of time. I'm not blaming anybody but Apple, I'm absolutely agreeing with you - it's a problem that they (Apple) need to fix.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Alex Lako replied 11 days ago.

Hi Pat,

My name is ***** ***** I would like to help you resolve your problem.

I can understand how frustrated you are because of the seemingly endless attempts at resetting your password. Apple had a security breach with their iCloud services a while back, and received a lot of bad press because peoples' pictures were spread all over the internet including some high profile famous people. I suspect because of that they made password ***** more difficult. Having said that there is no reason that people have to go through this endless loop process.

Would you please run through these steps for me. They involve iCloud as you may have guessed.

1. Backup your device via iTunes. Don't worry these steps do not delete any data you have.
  2. Sign out of ALL iCloud services on your device. iCloud, AppStore, Messages, and Facetime
  3. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Release the Buttons.
  4. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in
  5. Change your Apple ID password. I know this is a pain.
  6. Sign out of Apple ID
  7. Sign back in to ALL iCloud services. iCloud, AppStore, Messages, and FaceTime
  8. Go into iCloud and check your storage settings – iCloud may reset to backup every app and their data.
  9. If everything works, Back up everything again in case you need to restore in the future.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem.

Alex

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Alex. I appreciate your help and your suggestion. Think about what you are saying, without a password, neither of my I-pads will let me in to perform a backup. When I've not been able to open my computer because of a lost password, I get the same advice! Without a password, you are OUT. Apple products are so high priced and so proprietary I wonder how anyone could think they are wonderful unless you are an IT expert. I'll show your suggestion to my son, he works with computers (NOT mac's) and he can see if this will work.
Expert:  Alex Lako replied 10 days ago.

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the update.

It appears that I was incorrectly assuming that the password ***** were having problems with was the Apple ID. From your last reply to me, you say that you cannot get access to your iPads. That is a different story.

The iPad device password ***** ***** a passcode by Apple. And it is not the same as your Apple ID password. I know it is confusing. It was the same for me too when I first started using Apple products. I will explain why there are multiple passwords/passcodes.

The passcode for an iPad is either a 4 digit or 6 digit numeric number (depending on your security settings). This is the passcode you enter when the device is powered on and lets you use the device. This passcode protects the physical device (your iPad), so that if you leave the device unattended, or if the device is ever lost or stolen, your data is protected from unlawful access. The device will be disabled if an incorrect passcode is entered 6 times.

The Apple ID password ***** the other hand is a password ***** protects your Apple customer account. This is the account that identifies you as the owner of the account as well as any devices tied to the Apple ID. It also allows you to access Apple products and services including iCloud storage, and the iTunes store, also helps you to locate lost devices, etc.

Because the passcode to unlock the device is stored on the device, it cannot be retrieved from the device itself.

The process to get access to the device without knowing the passcode will require a complete wipe of the device including any data you have on it

The reason for this is because the device will be reset to a fresh factory state. The same state the iPad is in when you purchase it, and first turn it on.

Now, if there was at least one backup done of the device prior, a restore from that backup can be made after the device is reset.

If you would like to perform the factory reset, I will be happy to provide the steps to do that. Please let me know. Again any data you have will be gone after the reset.

Alex