Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Apple Cinema Display went black. Received an System

Customer Question

My Apple Cinema Display went black. Received an System extension cannot be used because the extension "/System/Library/Extension/AppleThunderboltDPAdapters.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleThunderboltDPOutAdapter.kext" was installed improperly,
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I have been using the cinema display connected to my laptop for three years.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, my laptop is owned by my university where I'm a faculty member and will automatically install upgrades. I upgraded last night.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I'm still using Yosemite, I have to hand it over to upgrade OS X, those be the rules.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Unplugging shutting down of both the computer and the display. I took a look around the library, didn't move anything, and I can even see the extensions in the library.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sounds like the display drive file is corrupted. First of all, before doing any troubleshooting, I would recommend to backup all your important files to an external hard drive.

Then we can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or until you are satisfied.

I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star rating. If you feel you've received anything less, please don't rate anything like bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied.