Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have Earthlink DSL in my (rather small) two-story home. It

Customer Question

I have Earthlink DSL in my (rather small) two-story home. It is used to power a Linksys router and provide wireless throughout the home. However, the signal is too feeble to provide consistent wireless connection for my iPhone5, even when I'm only one floor below the router. When using my MacBookPro laptop in that same part of the house, the router provides acceptable wireless signal strength for general use (e-mail, web pages), but videos very often go impossibly slow.
Is their any altered service which Earthlink could supply to me to improve on that situation? -- cost is not a major limitation.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Rice,*****, Cambridge, MA 02138
( e-mails:***@******.***, or***@******.*** )
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  technicalcat replied 14 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry you are having trouble. I will help you now.

It sounds like you own your wireless router, and it's connected to a DSL modem. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

What is the model of your router? You can find this on a label on the bottom of the unit.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This doesn't seem to be going in a sensible direction. I basically asked if Earthlink could supply a notably stronger signal, and
if so, how and at what cost.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Regarding "What is the model of your router? You can find this on a label on the bottom of the unit.", I'm not at home now and won't be for several hours, so can't tell you. But the problem of weak wireless signal has been with me through 3 generations of Linksys routers. Again, I'm asking "if Earthlink could supply a notably stronger signal (to the DSL Modem), and if so, how and at what cost." James R. Rice

OK. We are not earthlink, and so I wouldn't really be able to tell you exactly what they could provide or if it would be any better. It is also doubtful they would be able to give you an informative accurate answer on that.

However, if you own your router now, it would usually make sense for you to continue to own your device, and upgrade it strategically to suit your needs. I can help you with that, and would recommend that you do so. The ISP equipment is often more costly, and more difficult to maintain over time. You also don't have nearly as many choices as you do when you own your own router.

So, just let me know if you'd like to proceed here, and if so, please send back the model of your current router so I can see what options you'd have for a worthwhile upgrade. thanks.