Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I accidently dragged 20000docs onto my desktop instead of a

Customer Question

i accidently dragged 20000docs onto my desktop instead of a harddrive and my screen is frozen. new imac
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: my screen is covered with 20000 files. i restarted but not clearing. Help
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: um yes last week
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i tried to select all on my scree and delete but it didnt work. then I thought oh geez i have some important files on m desktop and hard drive icons...
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: well just need help reversing what i did in the last hour what will it cost beyond the $5
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can move all contents from your Desktop to another folder using Single User Mode. So atleast this will help the Mac to boot up.

Boot up in Single User mode. To do so, shut down and restart holding Command(Apple) and S keys. When you see the text you can let go of the keys. Then type each of the following commands EXACTLY followed by pressing return.

mount -uw / (if this command showed any error, then try this /sbin/mount -uw / )
cd /Users/
ls

Now you should see the name of your home folder or user name, make note of it as you will need it for the next command.

type and press return the following command

cd /Users/yourname

Replace "your name" with your user name. Then type the following command:

mv Desktop Desktop1

Finally type

exit

Then boot up and you should have a folder called Desktop1 in your Home folder that has all the files that were in the desktop.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or until you are satisfied.

I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star rating. If you feel you've received anything less, please don't rate anything like bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied.

Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

I think you created a duplicate question instead of working here. Please try the above method to fix the issue without losing any of your files. Let me know if you face any difficulty