GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Safari is just a blank page, stays for a minute or two and

Customer Question

Safari is just a blank page, stays for a minute or two and shuts down. Just a total blank white page
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: 10.1.1 Just updated about a few days ago
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None, because everything says go to safari settings which isn't possible because it's a total,blank screen. Have turned off and restarted
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

Are you connected wired or wireless?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wireless
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that 39 total or in addition to the original 30 dollars
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

If you accept the remote it's additional. It's totally up to you. It's a system generated thing. We can try to resolve over this or I could connect and resolve.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I like to try it without the extra charge
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

OK - when this happens do you get the option to go to a web-address?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

OK have you done a D-Reset on safari?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which is what?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

Reset it to defaults?

Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

How to reset your Safari browser

1. Launch your Safari browser as usual.
  2. On the top left part of your browser, click “safari” to pull down its menu.
  3. Click on “Reset safari” option.
  4. A dialog with a list of options then pops up. – Clear history. – Reset Top Sites. – Remove all webpage preview images. – Empty cache.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, because there is nothing to click on. I just have the wifi signal, the time and battery level on top of screen
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All other programs work
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** am sorry that you are having trouble with this. Would you consider allowing me to remotely connect to your MAC and reset Safari for you? If you'd rather not do that, perhaps I can still help. It may be that you have your MAC organized differently and your menu bar may be at the bottom or on the left or right side. With safari open, please look for the menu bar and when you find it, click on Safari to access the Safari menu, then click reset Safari.

Please give that a try and let me know if it works for you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's an IPad 4, and there is no menu, no anything. Just a blank white screen. I do have the battery, wifi indicators and time on top of screen, nothing else
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was an ipad. Here are the correct instructions for clearing the cache and history for Safari on an iPad.

Clear Safari Cache on iPhone or iPad:

1. Go to Settings > Safari on your device.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose Clear History and Website Data.
  3. Confirm that you want to do this by tapping on Clear History and Data of Safari.

After you choose that option, all history and website data like cookies and cache data will be removed from the Safari browser. Safari will be a brand new browser just like when you first open it. You can use the same method to clear other apps' cache or data on your iOS devices and make your apps look brand-new.

Please try that and let me know if works for you. If it doesn't I do have a few other things for you to try.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yup, already tried that a couple times.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Since that didn't work, I recommend that you backup your ipad and and then do a restore. Hopefully that will correct the problem. I assume that you have already checked for IOS updates? If so, please go to GENERAL, then scroll down to RESET, and try RESET ALL SETTINGS first. If that does not resolve the problem., please try again, using ERASE ALL CONTENT and SETTINGS (making sure that you have backed everything up first). Please let me know if you run into any difficulties and keep me posted as to your progress. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just had updated a couple days before. How do I do a backup? Will I lose anything?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

To back it up, please do the following:

1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  2. Tap Settings, then scroll down and tap iCloud.
  3. Scroll down, tap Backup, and make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
  4. Tap Back Up Now. ...
  5. Make sure that the backup finished: Tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, then select your device.

When you restore, you can restore from that backup and you shouldn't lose anything.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

I do encourage you to try the RESET ALL SETTINGS first, as it may resolve the problem without requiring you to erase all data and contents.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
reset all settings doesn't erase anything?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

The “Reset all Settings” option keeps your apps and data but does reset personal preferences and network settings. You'll have to set those things up again. It is much less drastic than RESET ALL SETTINGS AND ERASE DATA AND CONTENTS. But before you do wither you really should make sure that you have a current backup. If you have iCloud backups turned on, and you've been connected to wifi, you may have a recent backup. The date of the last backup will be displayed under iCloud backup if you had it turned on already.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** was backed up last night. My iCloud Drive and backup is on so I guess I'll try it.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome. Please keep me posted.

If the information that I have provided has been helpful, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah, didn't work.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Ok. If the reset all settings didn't work, it's time to do the complete reset. Please try that. Do the complete reset. When the iPad comes back up, please do the following:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update. If a newer version of iOS is available, follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it.

2. From the apps Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud.

3. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

If it works after you reset it, but not after you restore from backup, then reset it again, and this time rather than restoring from backup, manually copy the photos and data that you want from icloud, and redown your apps from the APP store as there is likely as corrupt setting in the backup.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I appreciate the help. Any idea on how long it will take?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

It depends to a large extent on how much data yo have on your ipad. It shouldn't take more than half an hour I would think. I'm in the process of doing the same thing to mine because I keep getting messages that new carrier updates are available, and I accept them, but they don't stick. I have cell service on my mine and the signal has been poor lately so I need those updates. Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome.