Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a 10 year old MacBook Pro I'm putting back in

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old MacBook Pro I'm putting back in service, but I cannot remember the master password.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It's a mid 2010 15" running 10.8.5.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, but I'm unable to install 10.12 without the password.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Disc Utilities, and restarted from another boot volume, but I still cannot change the administrator's password ***** one that I will know.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anything else I might know that you need?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 19 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Follow the steps below to reset the password:

1. Power off your Mac.
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.
  3. This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.
  4. Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar , then select “Terminal".
  5. Type: resetpassword (All one word , no spaces)
  6. Press return. On the Reset Password ***** select “hard disk” from the menu bar at the top, then select the user account from the drop down menu. Confirm the user account, change password ***** Save. Next click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.
  7. Turn it back on. After restarting, if you see any messages about the Keychain, please click Create New Keychain. If you are still see a Keychain error you’ll need to reset the Keychain access database.
  8. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;
  9. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
  10. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  11. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
  12. Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).
  13. Quit Keychain Access.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. Thank you!