Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

I have a 2010 Macbook with OSX 10.9.5 On iphoto I have some

Customer Question

I have a 2010 white Macbook with OSX 10.9.5 On iphoto I have some historical family photos that I want to share via jump drive with family members. If family receive them on the jump drive, will the metadata that was recorded on iphoto be there? And secondly, will they be able to see it?
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 2010 OSX 10.9.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Ill check how recently. All updates are current though.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Some say that that metadata doesn't always stick on iphoto. Also, if I send pics to one sister by jump drive, she can't open the metadata bec. her iphoto is an earlier version than mine. Some say that you need something like photoshop to enter metadata so that it will stick and be able to be opened and seen by others.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Let's start with that.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 20 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** and I look forward to assisting you today.

When you choose to export the images, on the Export window there is a value called Kind. When you click the Kind pull down menu, you will be given the following options: Original, Current, Jpeg, Tiff, and PNG. Whether or not the metadata is included in the images is dependent on which value you choose for the Kind. Below, I will explain the Kind values and how it relates to whether or not the Metadata is included.

Kind Values:

• Original:
    • Choosing this value will export the file that you imported from your camera with no changes, edits, faces, places, etc. It will be the original file.
  • Current:
    • Choosing this value will export the file as it is right now in the database. It is the iPhoto's preview, a medium quality jpeg file, which will not have all the metadata.
  • Jpeg:
    • This is the most common image file type nowadays. If you wish to edit the image later on, there may be a bit of quality loss. This choice will have excellent metadata support.
  • Tiff:
    • This is an uncompressed format, so the file size will be larger. The size of Tiff files are approximately 10 times the size of Jpeg files. If the recipient of the export plans on editing the files, it is best to use this format. This value has excellent metadata support.
  • PNG:
    • This is another compressed format and has poor metadata support.

In short, you are best off using either the JPEG or TIFF format because they will export all metadata. The choice between the two depends on whether or not the recipient of the images plans on editing them or not. If they don't plan on editing the files, then JPEG will work just fine. However, if the recipients do plan on editing the files, the best choice is using the TIFF format. Later on, if the JPEG files are edited, there will be some quality loss; however, there will not be any quality loss when TIFF files are edited.

One quick note: This is my job; however, I only get credit for my time, if you rate my help with 3 Stars or more. I would prefer a 5 star rating, if you are satisfied. If you are not happy with my answer below, please let me know so we can continue.

I look forward to your next message below or your rating on the top of this page (choosing of number of Stars and clicking the Submit button)

Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.

Thank you again,
- Jason

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at ohe following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!"

My Profile page:

http://JasonFixedit.com