Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I am having trouble sending mail from my iPad........get

Customer Question

I am having trouble sending mail from my iPad........get message that user name/password ***** incorrect. I have gone into settings to check my password, it this hasn't helped. I am trying to apply for a job, so I REALLY need to be able to send out mail!!!! Thanks in advance ~ Sue
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: Just now
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no, just any auto updates that may have been installed
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just going into settings
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no tks!
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Are you using iPad's built in "Mail" application, or something else?

What email provider are you using; Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, Live?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Built in. And I use outlook thru MNS.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I'd rather you just try to walk me thru possible issues
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

That is my goal, I just needed to know where to start.

When you go into the Mail app, do you see a "Outbox" folder? If so, is there anything in it? If there is, please delete any/all in the Outbox and try to send again. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I don't want to allow remote access at this time
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have outlook app on my desktop, and also access it from the MSN home page
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

In the original request iPad was mentioned, are we not talking about sending mail from an iPad?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Nothing in the out box at this time
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
from my ipad
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

How do we know it is not working? Is there an error message? Or is there a returned email?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
There is an error message that says my user name/ password ***** incorrect!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
then I find the email in the outbox as unsent
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

So is your email @outlook.com or @live.com, or ??

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Email address is @msn.com
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

OK, has it ever worked on the iPad?

Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Do you have any messages in the Inbox?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
it always used to be fine, but this has been happening over the last month or more. Just tried it again to see the meager and it said that "the user name ORpassword ***** MSN is incorrect.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
MESSAGE not meager!!! darn auto correct!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Bob??????!!!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Please go into the "Settings" on your iPad. Then tap "Mail" (on the left). Then tap "Accounts" - how many accounts are there?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hang on a sec!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Under mail it says: iCloud, MSN, and outlook
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

OK, iCloud and MSN make sense, do you have a separate "Outlook" account?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
But I only use my MSN/Outlook acct on a daily basis. iCloud acct just came with my iPad so I set it up as a backup
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Yes, MSN and iCloud make sense, but do you also use the Outlook account for MSN? In other words, is both the MSN and the Outlook account set up for the MSN email address?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I always thought OUTLOOK was just a part of MSN.......
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

They are from the same company, Microsoft, but it does not mean they're set up with the same account. When you tap on either one, are you prompted for a password? Once you're in the settings for each, are they the same address?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just checked it again in settings.
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

So, both the "MSN" and the "Outlook" account show the same address***@******.*** ?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have used this email for YEARS!!!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

OK, let's go back to the "Mail" app. When you're in there, do you see "< Mailboxes" in the upper-left of the screen? If so, tap on it, then you should see at least four things: "All Inboxes", iCloud, MSN, and Outlook - can you confirm this?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I do have mail on my inbox
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hang on have to,change screens!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
all inboxes is also shown
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Do you normally use the "All Inboxes" option?
Please try tapping on the MSN Inbox specifically, and then try sending an email.
And when you're sending the email, please notice what is in the "Cc/Bcc, From:" field.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hang on......and yes, ALL inboxes always show up automatically.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok.......sent myself an email and I rec'd it!! But when I try to respond to, say, a job ad it doesn't go. There is NO Cc/Bcc shown in my address line
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
by the way, I am receiving your responses in my email long before I can see them on this screen!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

There will almost always be a variance in time frame of when you see a response in email vs when it shows up in this forum, and sometimes it will show up here before email - it's just the nature of data transmissions.

Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Back to email from iPad...

So, how are you responding to the job ads - from an Internet link?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
55357;� ok!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Well, usually thru Indeed, which is where I see the job posting and my resume is also on that site. I am an RN, so my cover letter is also there!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

So you click on a link on the Indeed site? And then an email pops up? What I'm thinking is that when this is done, the "Mail" app is 'choosing' which email address to send from, and somehow it's 'choosing' the account that does not have the correct password. It could be 'choosing' iCloud, MSN or Outlook. Could you click one of those links now, not that you're going to send the email, but then notice - is there a "Cc/Bcc, From:" field? and what email address is in the "Cc/Bcc, From:" field?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just checked an email I tried to send in response to a job. I created this email from my regular acct, NOT thru the link, and it did not go through. Got the same message.
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

And did you notice what was in the "Cc/Bcc, From:" field?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
How long would it take you to fix this if I allowed remote access????? I have to get ready for work shortly!!!!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Remote access to an iPad is nearly impossible, Apple made it very difficult for security reasons.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
NO Cc/Bcc is in the address lines
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Fine........
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

There's the "To:" field, where you type the recipients address, what appears just below that?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
However, i DO NOT want my info shared with any other 3rd party.......
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

I do not understand your last comment about a 3rd party.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Under "To" then it shows the Cc line, which is always blank unless I put something in there.
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

There should also be a "From:" field, maybe on your iPad it's different then mine, but you should be able to see which email address the email is "From" - do you see that?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sorry, had to check. If I COMPOSE an email, the top line is "FROM" which shows my name/email address. Under that is TO, the Bc/Cc lines.
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

OK, and you should be able to change what is in the "From" field by tapping on it and scrolling through at least three options (iCloud, MSN and Outlook) - and I suppose MSN and Outlook might look exactly the same, if they're using the same email address. Please try that to see which one works.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok hang on!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
OK.......can't seem to find that!!! BUT, I did just discover that I also have an email address that is THE SAME as my MSN email, but it says ***************@******.***!!!!!!!!!! Who knew!!!!!��������
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
just need to delete my outlook acct IF that will not totally screw up my MSN email, as that is the important one, and the one listed on my job applications. Can I do that safely??????����
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Two possible solutions:

1. Get the Outlook account password ***** fixed.

2. Delete the Outlook account, you could always add it again later if you do need it - and, of course, after the password ***** is fixed.

Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

A third option, you could "Disable" the Outlook account in Settings.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I'll delete it. NEVER use it.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Please let me know what happens?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just deleted the outlook acct!! Seeing that I didn't even know that I had it, couldn't be that important.......I hope!!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Now what?????
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Try sending an email.

Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

When you send an email, you did say you see what the email is sending "From" right? I hope it does say "*****@******.***", right?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
2 messages that did not send, I changed the FROM to my iCloud acct and they were sent. HOWEVER, this doesn't fix my MSN acct, which is my primary acct..............
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
HELLO?????? Bob???!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

I'm here, just reading your comment.

Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

So then it truly is a password ***** with the MSN account on the iPad. Are you prompted for a password ***** any time?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
a password ***** with MSN. However, I am never asked for my password ***** any time. But, in my settings the acct is apparently password ***** I have tripled checked the info in settings, under mail, and do not see any issues. Just keep getting the same message.
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

When you say "in my settings the acct is apparently password *****", that is what I meant earlier - are you prompted for a password ***** you go into the settings for the account? That is where the password ***** to be entered. It's not different from your email address password, it is the same - please just enter your email address password ***** that point and it should allow you into the settings, thus updating/correcting the password ***** that account.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Well, thanks for your time, but I need to get ready for work at this point!!!! Guess I'll just have to switch my "From" to my iCloud acct until I get this fixed........!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

OK, when you get a chance - please go back into Settings, Mail, and tap on the MSN account - enter your email address password ***** that point and it should allow you into the settings, thus updating/correcting the password ***** that account.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I've done that many, many times, but to no avail!!!!! Even when i update my password!!! So, I'm just not sure what could possibly be the issue!! :-(
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
By Bob......have a good day!!! And thanks! Do you know what will happen to the charges for this, as it wasn't fixed?????!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

I know you must get ready for work, so allow me to offer this for later. The account is simply 'corrupt' - in other words, everything "looks" fine to our human eyes, but somewhere in the iPad it just is not correct. So, when you have more time, please consider this option - add the MSN account a 2nd time in Settings -> Mail - without deleting the existing instance, so you don't lose stuff. Then you would have 2 instances of the same account, but one would work and the other, well, just doesn't.

Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

As for the charges, hopefully my final comment/suggestion will work - so let's consider the charges later :)

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just tried to do this!!!!! But, once again, it is asking for a password ***** when I enter it, it says it is incorrect!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Just making me crazy!!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Just tried creating acct again, NOW it says the imap password ***** *****!!!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Where can I retrieve that info????????? ;-(
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

I'm looking it up, please give me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It DIDN'T work.........!!!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sorry......and thanks!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

Please try this later:

(full article is here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-email-using-the-iOS-Mail-app-7e5b180f-bc8f-45cc-8da1-5cefc1e633d1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1)

Use these instructions if you have any @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @msn.com, @live.com, @outlook.co.uk, or any custom domain email addresses that are hosted on Outlook.com.

Go to your device's Settings, scroll down to Mail, tap Accounts >Add Account.

Note: If you have not updated to iOS 10, go to your device's Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.

Device Settings > Mail Add Account

Choose Outlook.com.

Choose Outlook

Enter your Outlook.com account email address. Tap Next.

Enter Outlook.com email address

Enter your password ***** with your email account. Tap Sign In.

Enter password ***** sign in

If you're prompted to enter server settings, enter the following and continue.

Email: your full email address.

Server: s.outlook.com.

Username: your full email address.

Password: email account password.

Note: Double-check that everything is spelled correctly.

Outlook may request certain permissions. To agree, tap Yes. Then choose the apps you want your email account to sync with your iOS device and tap Save.

Note: If you're prompted to create a passcode, tap Continue and type a numeric passcode. If you're prompted and don’t set up a passcode, you can’t view this account on your device. But you can set up a passcode later in your settings.

Your email account is now ready for use with the iOS Mail app!

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Well, I'll try that tomorrow!!!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Is there a way to save that most recent info you sent me??? Will it go into my email so I can reference it at a later date??
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
As I don't have time to do it right now!
Expert:  Bob James replied 21 days ago.

It is always available here, at JustAnswer.com. I can send again if necessary also. I'm here to help :)

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks.....gotta get ready for work!!
Expert:  Bob James replied 19 days ago.

I hope you're able to try setting up the account from scratch again, please let me know what the results are?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No luck!
Expert:  Bob James replied 19 days ago.

I've done my best, ***** ***** now opt out of this inquiry. There may be other professionals that can offer assistance.
Thank you and have a good night.

Expert:  Josh replied 19 days ago.

Hi Susan,

A new expert here --

Do you have 2-step verification enabled on your MSN account?