Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Frozen in word with a very important document not saving, El

Customer Question

frozen in word with a very important document not saving
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: El capitan
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not sure, it's my husband's. probably not
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing. usually I have to do a force quit but since it's a 15 document that he worked on for 6 hours, we're afraid he'll lose it
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If it is frozen, then I'm sorry you have to force quit it. There is no other way to unfreeze it and no way to save the document now. But if the Auto recovery functions is turned on, then Word will recover and open the document automatically next time you open Word. Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select Word, Force quit and open it. Does it open the document ?

If not, then check the Autorecovery folder. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Then open Documents folder. Open Microsoft folder and open Auto recovery folder. If you see any files there, then rename the files (to rename, select the file and press return key to bring the selection on name) and add .docx or .doc at the end of the file name and then open it with Word. Do you see your document ?

There is also one more place to check. If you are lucky, you may find a backup in here. In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. From Library, Open Application Support folder, open Microsoft, open Office folder. Open Office Auto recovery folder and do you see them there ?

If not, then it is too late now. There is no other way to get it back if it is not in that folder. I know you are looking for a way to get it back, but the fact is, it is gone. Apologies for the bad news.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. If you are not satisfied with my answers, please don't rate me as bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
no help. it's lost
Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

I'm very sorry. There was no other way than Auto recovery. Word documents once frozen can't be recovered without auto recovery. I'm sorry I couldn't solve the problem.

Best regards,